The fireplace in many homes is the center of attention during a cold winter’s night, but ignored the rest of the year. This is unfortunate, because they can be very dangerous if not maintained properly. Heavily caked creosote can catch on fire in the chimney. Temperatures in a chimney fire can reach up to 5,00 degrees. At these temperatures the mortar between flue tiles can melt and allow the fire to spread to the rest of the home. The entire home could be lost in a matter of minutes. Regular cleaning of the chimney is highly recommended. The following is a chart suggested by the a local Fire Marshal.
METAL INSERT FIREPLACE
||6 mo.-1 yr|
|HICKORY/ELM||1-2 yr||*Unsafe to burn|
|MESQUITE||1-2 yr||6 mo.-1 yr|
|BOISE D’ARC||1 yr||Unsafe to burn|
|YELLOW/WHITE PINE/COAL||Unsafe to burn||Unsafe to burn|
|Green/Wet Wood||Seasoned Wood|
|OAK||3-4 yr||1-2 yr|
|HICKORY/ELM||2-3 yr||Unsafe to burn|
|BOISE D’ARC||2-3 yr||1-2 yr|
|YELLOW/WHITE PINE/COAL||1-2 yr||Unsafe to burn|
The mortar cap, at the top of a masonry chimney, tends to crack and allow water to enter between the bricks or stone and mortar. If left in this condition for an extended period of time, mortar between the bricks at the interior firebox will become loose. In some instances, it may be necessary to restack the entire fireplace if the damage is severe.
This cap should be inspected at least once a year for damage. If cracks are found, simply seal them with mortar.